Mansions of Aegina – Other buildings of interest
Aegina is full of mansions, some of which actually belonged to prominent persons of the local history, cultural life, or maritime caste of Aegina, Athens and the wider area of Central Greece. Some of them are:
- The mansion of the Voulgaris family of Hydra (just before Agios Vasilis of Perivola, built in 1767)
- The house of historian Finley in Asomatos (1826 Kokkino Kastro)
- The house of Kontostavlos (1829, behind the cemetery/Faros)
- The house of G. Iriotis-Kontogiorgis (1817, now houses the Historical and Folklore Museum of Aegina)
- The house of Kanaris (near the Ethnegersia Square)
- The house of Varvakis
- The villa of doctor Peroglou
- The Rallis Tower
Interesting residences also include the Zaimis Tower near Plakakia district, the house of Kountouriotis and that of Spyridon and Charilaos Trikoupis.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the economy of Aegina bloomed thanks to trade and mainly due to fishing, the processing of the sea-sponge, the widespread use of Aeginian tufa, the production of the well-known Aeginean pottery and also that of wine.
Today, the wealthy merchants and sponge-diving captains build many more of the typically beautiful neoclassical buildings of Aegina (known as “ethnika”).